Originally posted on trinketization:
Alongside Barbara Stanwyck, my other fave mainstream movie star is Burt Lancaster (and though the woman on the beach in this still is, if you did not know, Deborah Kerr, Stanwyck and Lancaster teamed up together in “Sorry, Wrong Number” way back in 1948). As I am on a bit of a Burt tip this month, I watched “The Professionals” (1966) tonight. It is fantastic. Alongside his great “Crimson Pirate”, its one of the huge movies that show that the House Un-american Activities Commission (HUAC) really had a point, there were communists in Hollywood. Kaaabaaan! And it was a good thing too. More arty types might also enjoy Lancaster in Visconti’s very last film, “Conversation Piece” where Burt plays an aging Professor obsessed with trinkets. That kind of appealed to me too. What a trajectory – pirate – revolutionary – art dealer. Its a pity his involvement with the…
View original 5 more words
a little bit of nostalgia – what was in when I started secondary school. Holidays in Frankston (!). Suzi Quatro was compulsory listening on a portable cassette player. A connie was a kind of cropped woollen cardi. Staggers were madly wide jeans (wide from the thighs down), bought from Epsteins. The knuckles game shown here towards the end… and the elbows… the dancing… indicate a little of the undercurrent of anger… Remember Lobby Lloyd, but also Hush…
More background = http://www.furious.com/perfect/sharpies.html
It was all downhill after this. traded in the treads (woven sandals with car-tyre soles) and Skyhooks took over, and AC/DC (originals – Bon Scott era), and then later on The Radiators through to Loaded Dice at the Sarah Sands.
– wrote and sent two references for people seeking academic jobs
– got someone an actual job, as an academic
– helped someone else find someone for the job they had on offer (see above)
– helped out with two other people doing funding apps
– coffee (see stain on son’s sleep suit – bad parent)
– had flu jab
– received additional crazed post from someone in need of help I am not qualified to give
– sought advice on the above
– took smallest son with his mom to a cafe, coffee
– walked to work in the rain
– sent out two books – Beyond Borders
– emailed copy of an old paper on overwork to someone, and got into complicated discussion exchange on that – ahh, FB.
– read a draft chapter of someones’ PhD, coffee
– read some of – not enough – the PhD I am currently examining
– read the paper – appalled at the BBC and the softening up process before Leveson
– changed doc appointment time
– tried to move the email list problem on – getting close to fixing it
– helped design a trinkets display feature
– tried yet again to get a response from a certain admin dept that has gone dark on me
– reading for Berlin trip
– scanned copy of Ben Ross article from 15 years ago that seems really relevant now – will post here soon
– more chat with people for the Proletarianization and the River project (on thursday had a good meeting with the archivist at Museum of London Docklands. They are interested in the ideas we bring. Especially that of co-research with local activist groups coming in to the museum to work with the archives and to identify local sites/trinkets that connect up with a co-constituted colonial history with other ports like Calcutta, Canton, Caribbean etc. The same sort of proposal as was welcomed at Maritime, but perhaps even more so since Docklands is planning to reorganise their collection display under a new theme of ‘many East Londons’. Having XTalk, Brick lane Circle and Housing groups as co-researchers can really work with this. The idea will not be that we teach people to do research, but we research with them, alongside their agendas which will be to do with harlots, lascars and squatters etc (XTalk are interested in sex work around the ports, Brick Lane Circle in Bengali sailors who jump ship, Deptford and Stratford Housing in land use.)
– prepared posters for Wednesday’s film – Baba Ratan’s Fair
– corrected start time for tonight’s Fedeici event
– twitter exchange with ex-student from Melbourne (I miss Marios breakfasts)
– prepared materials for PHD progress meeting in dept (which is about to start)
Not a bad morning so far, but again nothing done on my own book. Have at least updated the blog!
Damn, forget to get a sandwich for lunch. Will eat and think about how if we comply with social media’s demand to tell everyone what we are doing all the time we will never do anything. Vanishing up an orifice of our own making…
Still reading Gayatri Spivak’s new book, An Aesthetic Education in the Era of Globalization. Its difficult, but actually great. I think her argument is somehow (anyhow) to keep working at the patient effortful non-coercive project of education for epistemic change and rearrangement of individual desire (careerism) towards a collective responsibility (planetary perspective), where the wealth of productive capacity would be (re)distributed through real democratic choice founded on aesthetic education (skills of reading, habits of empathy, not jumping to judgement) and critical comportment towards others and for the comfort and care of all (!). Yup, I’ve a ways to go yet.
this one was made by the Nomadic Action Group for the campaign against having the olympics in Melbourne in 1988
To which (via Simon S) we can now add some London related resources:Anarchist alternative art for the Olympics….Report backs on a ‘Countering Olympics’ conference held recently….I guess Occupy Olympics was an obvious alliteration. Not a lot going on here at the moment….….but the powers that be are obviously concerned about this kind of development….http://www.voanews.com/english/news/europe/Britain-Discouraging-Occupy-Style-Protests-Around-Olympics-138064728.htmlAtos Origin is the Games’ IT Partner. (something for Anonymous to look into perhaps?)…..http://www.digitalnewsagency.com/stories/5158-london-2012-and-atos-origin-open-olympic-technology-labDisabled rights protests against Atos and their involvement in the Olympics have already started (nice link to Bhopal too)…..http://benefitclaimantsfightback.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/paralympic-protest-atos-out-of-the-olympics/Nothing on the games yet but worth keeping an eye on this group….