Spivak and the General Strike (and W.E.B. du Bois)

Gayatri Spivak will be in B.A.M.N. mag soon. In the meantime here is why she is still way ahead of the curve:

On the General Strike, an absolutely necessary, ‘keyword’ from Gayatri Spivak:

http://www.tandfonline.com/…/p…/10.1080/08935696.2014.857839

Gayatri’s next book is on De Bois and the General Strike.
A related post by here for the Occupy people is here:http://occupiedmedia.us/2012/02/general-strike/

A snippet from an interview here: http://jdrabinski.com/spivak-on-du-bois-and-black-reconstr…/

Three hours worth of an early version of Spivak’s DuBois strike stuff: here:https://hutnyk.wordpress.com/…/gayatri-spivak-du-bois-and-…/

But that was when she was then still working out the book. This excerpt from a 2011 interview:

> SHAILJA PATEL

> You cited Rosa Luxemburg as one of your heroes. Will you say more about why? Who else comes to mind in your pantheon of heroes as you think about Rosa?

> GAYATRI CHAKRAVORTY SPIVAK

> Since I’ve never been asked to account for why she is one of my heroes, I don’t know. I really have no idea. I would have to rationalize that answer. But I am going to teach her, in either the fall or the spring, and it will be on a few texts of the General Strike.

> The course will be called: Some Texts From The General Strike: Reflections On The History Of An Idea. I will distinguish this from May 68, from Naxalbari, and Tahrir Square and all that stuff. I have written a little about the fact that the Tunisian example was a singular subaltern speaking – the guy who burned himself- and there was, paradoxically, a political will created by the predatory government.

> I will go first into the pre-texts of the anarchists, but even before that, Chartism. Since I don’t do 19th century novels, 18th century novels, I will find out if there is a novel of Chartism, because I’m a literature teacher. And then I will teach Sorel and Benjamin’s Critique of Violence which leans on Sorel. Then I will teach Rosa Luxemburg and Gramsci, 1905 and Turin,

> Luxemburg’s book on the mass strike, and this will be my center.

> And then I will teach Du Bois, because people said that he made a mistake in calling the exodus of the slaves when the Civil War began a general strike. I don’t think so. He was very learned, he wasn’t making a mistake. I want to see why.

> And then I will do Gandhi. Because I believe the Non-Cooperation movement is mistakenly thought of as only ahimsa, non-violence. Non-Cooperation was much more a recoding of general strike with the generalized Hindu text of ahimsa thing. So I’ll do Gandhi and maybe the Gandhi-Tagore letters as they relate to this issue.

> And then I’ll do Tillie Olsen, because her novel Tell Me A Riddle, is certainly a story of the 1905 revolution, which is what Rosa Luxemburg’s 1906 essay is on.

> So that’s my 7 weeks, and that’s how I’ll teach her.

> But as to why she’s my hero – does anyone ever know? No I don’t know. But I did put down two things. Lack of fear – yeah, I suppose, but many people are fearless. I also put in her body warmth, but I’m just – I’m really rationalizing. I don’t even want to think about why she’s my hero. One must protect one’s heroes from these kinds of questions (laughter).

_____
The rest of the interview is here, the next answer was about sex, See more at: http://www.3quarksdaily.com/…/interview-with-gayatri-chakra…